Time management is all about knowing and executing your priorities.
When I started my career as a chartered accountant I did not even understand what time management is.
I could never complete my jobs on time since I used to take care of different jobs.
I would always work beyond office hours to complete my job.
I even attended the office on the weekends.
I had no life since I became workaholic.
I was puzzled and frustrated.
I had no option but to quit.
The importance of time management skills
The importance of time management skills can be understood from the fact that you always have a scarcity of time to do critical things such as:
- You don’t have time to work out, massage, or play outdoor games, and you consider your health is essential for a fulfilling life.
- You are not able to spare time with your children and family although you feel the family is the most critical part of your life.
- You fail to update yourself on the latest technology or fail to improve your communication skills that are the need of the hour.
- You cannot take time to listen to your favourite song or read your favourite book and feel life has become dull.
- You are unable to take a vacation since you always find a scarcity of time.
Time management is the practice of using available time efficiently.
But, time management skills cannot be improved by understanding its definition. You also need to understand how you waste your precious time.
A Couple of Time Wasters
Have you ever thought about how to use your time or how you kill your time doing things that do not matter?
I call these time waster. You need to understand and avoid the time-wasters. Here are a couple of time wasters:
- You might watch TV in the morning and in the evening which sucks your energy.
- You might browse different websites to pass your time.
- You might post updates on Facebook or WhatsApp to get a few likes. Is not this childish you invest one-two hours to get some likes?
- You might chat with your colleagues or gossip during office hours to get rid of your work.
- You might eat and sleep a lot every day.
Here are the 8 Biggest Times Wasters that Kills Your Productivity
Let me tell you how I learned time management and got work-life balance.
I came across Eat That Frog.
This book taught me that time management is all about understanding and attacking your priories.
Before reading this book, I decided my priorities by myself and my boss or senior used to tell me to complete a particular task they assigned to me.
After reading Eat That Frog, I always paid attention to the jobs that were important for my boss.
My boss was pleased with my work because I always executed his priorities without any further instruction or reminder.
You may also read What Your Boss Wants
I could also get enough time to complete other important tasks without any interruption.
I could leave the office on time.
I could maintain a healthy work-life balance.
The best time management books
If you want to improve your time management skills by reading books. Here are the bestselling time management books on Amazon for you:
You may also listen to ‘First Thing First by Stephen R. Covey on Audible. You will get your first audiobook free:
Quick Time Management Tips
It would best if you did not feel guilty because you want to get rid of time-wasters, and you have been wasting your time for years.
Here are a couple of time management tips so that you can make the best use of your time:
- You can invest your time in a small job out instead of gossiping with colleagues.
- You can update yourself on the latest technology instead of checking Facebook and WhatsApp update.
- You may watch your industry experts on YouTube instead of watching other videos.
- You may play with your children or spend time with your family instead of watching TV for long hours.
- You may work out in the morning instead of reading a newspaper.
Everybody has 24 hours. You can invest them doing things that matter to you or waste them doing things that can never bring a positive change.
“It is your decisions, not your conditions that determine your destiny.” – Anthony Robbins
Time Management quotes
- “The key is in not spending time, but in investing it.” — Stephen R. Covey
- “Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money, but you cannot get more time.” – Jim Rohn
- “The shorter way to do many things is to only do one thing at a time.” – Mozart
- “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “Take care of the minutes and the hours will take care of themselves.” – Lord Chesterfield
- “To do two things at once is to do neither.” — Publius Syrus
- “Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow.” – Anonymous
- “The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.” — Michael Altshuler
Free Time management apps
Conclusion – Time Management Skills
- Execute your personal and professional priorities efficiently.
- Understand and avoid all time wasters.
- Learn to use or invest your time wisely.